Thursday, January 24, 2013

Words Runners Don't Want to Hear

"No running"

Ugh, really?? I never ever thought I'd have a stress fracture. I ran between 50-90 miles every month last year. I practically ran a Half Marathon a weekend and then some training for the Marine Corps Marathon, I ran the marathon in my goal time with only a nagging hip to complain of!!! And in the last 3 months, I've barely ran 60 miles total. And NOW I have a stress fracture. Hysterical!! Well, not really!

I can't say I took the news well. When I first went to the Ortho to have it checked, the x-ray didn't show a fracture, but he wanted to completely rule it out given my explanation of the pain. I was hoping for tendonitis, or for nothing. The MRI results show fatiguing and the start of a stress fracture in my foot. I think I just stared at the doc. It was that or burst into tears as he told me "no running", "no impact sports or activities"!! I saved the tears for when I got to the car.

Some people just don't understand why it's such a big deal. Why am I so upset! Well, running saved me! It gave me back "me"! I finally had an identity other than "Michael's mom, Daniel's mom"! I made awesome friends because of running! Friends that are helping me deal with my "funk" over this. It's my free time, my friend time, my alone time!! Now, instead of "going out for a quick run", it's "can I work in getting to the gym for this class or that one?" Pain in the a$$!!

So now that I've whined, cried, griped, and have been angry over it, it's time to move on and come up with a training plan that keeps me going strong without running until I am allowed to get back out there. The good news - not a full fracture only means 3-4 weeks off (I've already been off for 2 weeks *sigh*) So time to put my YMCA membership to full use and get swimming and spinning more!! Plus I get the physical therapy for my hip in that timeframe too. Hope to be put back together in time to at least run/walk the Rock N Roll Half Marathon in March that I'm signed up for :/


1 comment:

  1. BOOO jenni! But keep up the cross training you will be back in no time!

    ReplyDelete