Sunday, March 25, 2012

Frederick Rescue Mission 10 Miler - Why I love Hometown Races

Frederick Rescue Mission 10 Miler - Race for Recovery

This was a really great race.  From registration to packet pickup to timing chip pickup to the start, this race went off without a hitch!  For an Inaugural race, they had every detail worked out.  The volunteers at the water stops were wonderful (and stops were well placed).  The police support along the course was awesome, and they were out there cheering for us with a smile instead of a grumble (which I've unfortunately experienced before).  The spectators coming out to a small race is always nice.

The course - NOT flat LOL   But when I saw the course map posted, I knew the roads and knew what to expect, so I wasn't too worried about it, but hills at mile 8.5-9.5 are never welcome.  I approached this race as "just another training" run, since I was still feeling the Half I ran last weekend.  I should approach all my races like that because I ended up with a new PR for the 10 Miler (1:36:49).  

And why do I love hometown races ???   Because I thoroughly enjoyed running and chatting with people I knew, and meeting some new runners along the way, just enjoying the conversation and the beautiful afternoon hitting the pavement.  For me, I think I smiled most of this race.  It was so relaxed and enjoyable for me.  I loved high-fiving all my friends on the way back since this was an "out and back" course.  Made my day to see their smiling faces, especially since this was a "first" 10 mile race for most of them!  So proud to be apart of them reaching new goals and being there to cheer them into the finish!!  

And it's the support of this group where we don't leave when we finish, we wait for each other, we go and run group members back in if we think they might need a little more encouragement or motivation to take on that last hill or mile!  Those types of stories are what make running so enjoyable and inspirational to me!   It also made me a little late that afternoon (LOL), but I wouldn't have it any other way ;)

Here are the wonderful Run Mama Run Ladies!  So proud of every one of us :)

Love these ladies! :)
Crystal helping Jen bring in the last mile :)
LOVE the Finisher Medal.  I have a thing for lighthouses ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment